Friday, April 16, 2010

"Hello, my name is Carly and I want to be a Peace Corps Volunteer!"

I wanted to go ahead and start our blog (as well as get on the PC Journals site) because I truly believe in speaking things into existence. If you put your hopes out there in universe, you're bound to make things happen. When we first moved to NYC all I wanted to do was get a job in book publishing. I'd meet new people all the time and my line would be, "Hello, my name is Carly and I want to work in book publishing." (and this line was used on literally EVERYONE... including the mailman)

After living in NYC--and using my line--for about 6 months, our office hired a tarot card reader for fun. I introduced myself to the tarot card reader using my well-rehearsed line and low and behold, her BFF worked in book publishing! I finally had a contact! 5 months later I was working in book publishing.

So... after 10 months of reading other applicants' and volunteers' (PCVs') blogs, it's time for the Wilkins to contribute.

Again, we're nominated to serve in C/S America leaving early February 2011. Couples nominations occur on a quarterly basis--slightly different from single placements--but I'd love to hear from anyone else that was nominated for this region. Since I practically stalk the Peace Corps Wiki for new staging updates, I have a list of countries that have had February stagings in our region in previous years:

-Ecuador
-El Salvador
-Honduras
-Paraguay

Any of these would be incredible!

7 comments:

  1. I received the same nominaion. I'm a graduating senior in Computer Science and would be placed as an Information Science & Communication volunteer supposedly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOO-HOO!!! Hopefully we'll all be staging buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Carly! Thanks for your blog comment. I hope everything works out for you guys and that you find the home you're looking for. oh, and El Salvador will be happy to have you two. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too received the same nomination, but for English Teaching and Community Education Promotion. My invitation should be here today or tomorrow...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Amber! Hopefully we'll meet up south of the border!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be great. You can add Guyana to your list of possible countries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess Costa Rica has a February staging as well...

    ReplyDelete